18 Things I Want My Girls to Know!
Kenya & Kennedi,
Mommy wanted you to know 18 simple things in life, that she did not learn UNTIL she was an adult! I however, want you to know them before you are adults!!! If you grasp them as children, you will stand firm and hold tight to them as women and you won’t compromise.
- You are VERY beautiful…. the way you look right now holds all the beauty of a baby from birth but yet you are forming into the beautiful woman you will one day become.
- You are not me……. though you come from me you are YOU! You have a little bit of me in you but I encourage you to develop into your own person! I think you will enjoy life better being you and not who others want you or expect you to be!
- It’s almost NEVER about you…. what I mean is that when people act in certain ways (hurting you, making you feel insecure, or in a bad way), it speaks volumes of them and less of you as a person. I encourage you to get as far away from these types of toxic people as possible. Set boundaries and TEACH people how to TREAT you. Don’t put up with more than you have to, which is NOTHING! You DON’T have to take nothing foul from anyone! DEMAND RESPECT!
- I am trying my best……. I am not half the mother I should be to you nor what you deserve, but I am trying. I am moody, impatient, stubborn, etc. but I LOVE you beyond measure. I apologize for the times I’ve hurt you, your feelings, and lead you astray. Motherhood doesn’t come with a manual. If I could give you the world I would. I want what’s best for you!
- Reading is essential…. I LOVE to read, always have! I am glad to see that you too love reading. It will take you places you couldn’t even imagine.
- Do not be afraid to share your passion…. Anyone who teases you for what you love to do is not a real friend. Surround yourself with people who support and encourage you and I encourage you to do the same for others.
- It’s not your job to keep/make the people you love happy…. NOPE! Not me, your father, friends, loved ones, significant other, etc. NO ONE! It’s your job to make YOURSELF happy! Don’t rely on others as your source of happiness either.
- Life is TOUGH……but you are TOUGHER! There will be days that life will be very tough my darlings, but you are even more tough. You have me in you, so I know you will make it. When life hands you lemons, don’t make lemonade like everyone says! That’s so cliché! Give those lemons right back to life and go forward!
- Manage your finances, WELL…. THIS is one that I wished I had been taught as a child. Money isn’t everything, but it sure is needed out here to survive! When you get a hold of some money, SAVE some, SPEND some, and GIVE some away. Being a blessing to others opens up the heavens for blessings to rain down on you. Balance your checkbook, nothing will embarrass you quicker, than swiping a debit card and it DECLINES (never been my testimony, because mama still uses a checkbook register and balances to the penny)!
- Clean up after yourself…….it teaches you responsibility. Cleanliness is a MUST! Anyone who lives in filth, has a chaotic life. Never let anyone catch you by surprise and find your living quarters in a disarray! Plus, it makes mama happy! I didn’t fuss all your childhood to come to a dirty house!
- TRY……. there are things that you may or may not know. Things that you may or may not master the first time. With that being said, I don’t expect you to just give up. NO MA’AM! How do you know what you will be GREAT at if you don’t try?
- Make your own choices in life but be willing to accept the consequences…. Life is about making choices. What you will eat, wear, drive, do, where you will go, etc. When you make these choices (good or bad), be willing to accept the consequences that come along with them. I will always support you!
- YOU ARE LOVED……I have loved you from the moment I saw a positive pregnancy test! You didn’t happen by mistake, you were ORDAINED! Remember you both saved and purposed me. Nothing you do will ever make me stop loving you!
- Right is still RIGHT!….. just because you are a part of someone, doesn’t mean you have to do what they do! IF they jump off the bridge are you going to follow behind them?!?! I sure hope not! You be the one to do the right thing, even when no one is looking.
- Don’t CHANGE!….be you no matter who comes or goes. I mean it! BE YOU, in all of your entirety. The right people will love you for being authentic and if they don’t, well you didn’t need them.
- STAND OUT!…..in a room full of dull crayons, you be the NEON green and orange ones. Don’t do what everyone else is doing. Just be you! God made you for a purpose and he didn’t design you to be like others!
- You are my entire world!…….There’s nothing I would trade you for. When God gave me you, He knew just what he was doing. I can’t imagine life without you. Not one day of it would have meaning without you!
- You’re AMAZING!…….Just the way you are (in my Bruno Mars voice)!
♥ Love Mom ♥