Vegetarian Spinach & Mushroom Lasagna
So this week is meatless week for my family and I. Occasionally we do meatless weeks, in order to cleanse our bodies and to give our organs a break. With Sunday dinners being a big deal around my house, I had to pull out an “old faithful” recipe to cook so that way we would stick to our commitment of no meat for the week. So I decided to make Vegetarian Spinach and Mushroom lasagna. This one is so good that even the pickiest of eaters, such as my daughter Kenya are sure to love it!
Here’s the recipes below. Happy cooking! Oh and remember I don’t measure any seasonings…..lol sorry!
2 bunches of fresh spinach chopped (or you can use a 16oz bag of thawed frozen spinach)
16 oz tub of ricotta cheese
Small bag of mozzarella or Italian cheese
1 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
1 egg beaten
1 1/2 cups of chopped cremini or white mushrooms
1 box lasagna noodles (I like the Barilla brand)
1 small jar of mushroom Ragu sauce (or whatever brand you prefer)
1/2 of 1 small jar of garden combination Ragu sauce (or whatever brand you prefer)
2 tablespoons minced garlic (separated)
1 packet of Goya Sazon
Mrs. Dash original & garlic herb
Ground black pepper
1) Prepare noodles as instructed on the box. For added flavor boil in chicken or vegetable broth. While they are cooking begin to simmer your sauce on medium heat.
2) Take two heaping handfuls of the chopped spinach and place in your sauce, along with the mushrooms. Add the onion powder, 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, packet of Goya Sazon, garlic powder and Mrs. Dash to your sauce. Taste the sauce after simmering for 5 minutes to see if it’s seasoned to your taste. Turn the heat to low and allow it to simmer until your noodles are done.
3) While the sauce and noodles are cooking, make your ricotta cheese mixture. In a medium sized bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and beaten egg, mix together until egg is thoroughly mixed in. Next add ground black pepper (to your liking), the remaining tablespoon of minced garlic, parmesan cheese and stir until mixed throughly. Lastly add the remaining spinach and fold in until it’s all combined together .
4) Preheat your oven on 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and lightly cover the bottom of the dish with some of your sauce. Once your noodles are done, drain them and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
5) Layer noodles in the bottom of the pan, then cover with the ricotta cheese mixture, cover the mixture with sauce, then sprinkle the Italian/mozzarella cheese over the sauce and then layer noodles on top. Repeat the process until your noodles are gone or your pan is as full as you can make it.
6) Place the pan on a cookie sheet to catch the drippings or line the bottom of your oven with foil. Trust me you will thank me later……it catches the sauce or cheese that boils over during the cooking process. Cook the dish for 20 to 25 minutes (or until the cheese is melted or it’s heated through).
7) Slap a few pieces of garlic bread in the oven. Serve, eat, and enjoy! I either serve my family salad or some sort of green vegetable with the lasagna!